Ohm value in speaker is the value of the speaker’s resistance to the alternating current. If the resistance is lower, the speaker will consume much power from the amplifier. However, the volume will also be high when the resistance is high, and the dynamic range will suffer.
When the resistance is low, the amplifier will have to work hard to produce enough power for the speaker to run smoothly. Sometimes, you could be checking the ohm value of the speaker cable splitter for your good as the owner that you need to use a multimeter for easier work.
The article below shows how to tell the ohm value of a speaker cable splitter and any other related information that you can follow to achieve the process.
How to tell the ohm value of a speaker splitter cable
You can use different methods to tell the ohm value of a speaker cable splitter. Check on them in the article below:
Techniques to use to tell the ohm value of the splitter cable
|Methods to use||functions||Essential products|
|Estimation method||gets almost the needed result|
|Accurate method||uses Multimeter to get accurate results|
1. Estimation of the impedance
There are a few steps with this method that you can use to check the ohm value of the speaker splitter cable. Below are the necessary steps to follow:
i. Check the impedance rating in the label with the speaker splitter cable since most manufacturers label the speaker components with the labels for easy identification. Normally the nominal impedance of most speaker components ranges from four ohms to 16 ohms with frequencies that range from 250 Hz to 400 Hz. However, as you increase the speaker’s frequency, the speaker cable splitter also increases that you can also easily estimate.
ii. Set the multimeter to get the ohm value of the speaker splitter cable. The multimeter works by sending the small direct current to measure the resistance. Remember, the resistance of the speaker and its cables results from the quality of the alternating circuits that will not get the impedance directly but will help you get the closest range hence referred to as estimation. Remember to follow some precautions when using the multimeter to get accurate results.
iii. Remove the speaker from its cabinet or rather open the cabinet from the back so that you can check for the speaker cables if they are loose and fix them immediately.
iv. Switch the speaker since transmission of power when taking the measurements of the cable splitter to avoid destruction with your measurement and spoiling the multimeter. Ensure you remove all the cables that connect to the speaker to supply power but do not remove those connected directly to the speaker cone.
v. After that, connect the multimeter leads to the speaker cable splitter and check on the readings carefully so that you can know which of the cable splitter cables is positive or negative with their signs. After identifying the positive and negative sides, connect the multimeter red probe to the positive side and the black probe to the negative side, respectively.
vi. You can now estimate the impedance from the resistance that must be almost within the same range as the nominal impedance of the speaker splitter cable. Therefore, since most of the speaker splitter cables have the resistance of 4, 8, and 16 ohms, your result must be close to these ranges.
2. Getting accurate results
This is the second method you can use when you want to tell the ohm value of the speaker cable splitter. Follow its steps to come up with the results below:
1. Choose a device that produces the sine waves since the speaker and its components have frequencies that vary with the resistance. Therefore, you need to have a device that helps you send out the sine wave at any frequency. Choose to use an audio frequency oscillator since it is more accurate. You can use any signal generator or function generator so long as they have the sine wave or the sweep function. Even though some models do not work that well, they can result in inaccurate results. If you are new to the process, choose to use audio testing devices to connect to the computer.
2. Connect the device to the amplifier input, then set it to a low voltage that you need to be keen with the voltmeter to get accurate voltages.
3. Get a resistor with a high value by checking on a certain list in the manufacturer’s manual recommended for the speaker and its components.
4. Get the resistance of the resistor before using it and note it down, then connect the resistor and the speaker in series so that you fix the speaker to the amplifier with the resistor between them to create a constant current source powering the speaker.
5. Ensure the speaker is away from some destruction like the wind that reflects sound waves that can destroy the speaker’s sensitivity. Keep the magnet down in an area with fewer winds.
6. Calculate the current using the formula I=V/R which is the Ohms law of getting the current such that the I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance. After getting current, you can now adjust the frequency to find the peak resonance of the speaker cable splitter.
Frequently asked questions;
- How can one connect the speakers in a series connection?
When you want to connect the speakers in series, ensure you connect the negative terminal of the speaker to the positive terminal of another speaker and then sum all the resistance of all the speakers to get the total impedance.
When having the worries of how you can tell the ohm value of speaker cable splitter, you should not worry since I will provide you with the necessary tips to make everything successful. The guide above has the methods and the steps you can follow to achieve it.
Therefore, you need to have all the tools necessary to make the process successful, like the multimeter for measuring resistance and the voltmeter to check the voltage that the speaker needs to operate. Ensure you are keen when taking the measurements to get accurate results.